Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Meet Brandon Raab...


Meet Brandon Raab...

A few years back Brandon and a friend of his, Dave Elmore, started a non-profit foundation on the island of Routan off the coast of Honduras.... it's called SOL (School of Life) International Foundation. They are working to initiate and support community-based programs designed to promote education and increase the quality of life of kids around the island.

Brandon's been a teacher most of his adult life... so I knew I wanted to shoot him in a school-type setting. A few months back I photographed a kid named Summit Jaffe at Asheville Middle School... Since I had already scouted that classroom location, and the folks there were awesome, I figured I would give it another shot. I brainstormed an idea and ran it by Brandon... he was game. I planned to have him write on the whiteboard as if he'd gotten into trouble, but incorporate the idea of making the world a better place... I came up with the phrase "I will not let life go unlived." Sure, unlived might not be a real word, but it's in our lexicon enough to make sense.

One umbrella and two kickers later, I had my shot.

Note to self, try to remember to turn the time-lapse G9 on before the setup is already 1/2 over...
Patrick Cavan Brown :: Editorial and Commercial Photographer :: Asheville, NC

2 comments:

Morgan said...

Nice shot/video. What are the side lights?

Morgan

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

hmmm... my own little concoction... patent pending!