Friday, August 14, 2009

"Rapid" Profit Loss

I've sold this photo a number of times, and each time I sell it I make less and less $$. This time it was to Rapid Magazine out of Canada... they produce a great product for the whitewater paddling community and have purchased a number of images from me in the past. But what has this wonderful economy and dwindling print market brought us? A rapid depreciation in the amount of cash I can make in the editorial market. Not only was it chump change from this 1/2 page image, but it was in Canadian Dollars... which means after converting it to US Dollars and eating the fee associated, I made about enough money for a cheap dinner (sans the bottle of wine) and a matinee movie for me and mi chica... which we are going to blow watching District 9 and eating egg-rolls at PF Chang's tonight!

BTW... The image was taken on the San Marcos River in San Marcos, Texas... we've got a new whitewater kayaking park there in that spot, but we didn't even make this list! The irony...

Wanna learn to paddle? See my friends Ben and Michelle Kvanli at KayakInstruction.org in San Marcos, Texas.

2 comments:

Mr Furious said...

I have a photog friend who has a standing gig with Coca Cola to shoot celebrity athletes for Power-Ade. This past year they cut his rate 60 % and blamed in on the rough economy.

As if soda sales have suffered at all....

--Matt

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

Holy Mackerel! No Bueno!