Monday, November 15, 2010

How is it lit? Free print to the best guess...

How is it lit?
ChallGray-1
In a selfish effort to completely whore myself and my blog, I am giving away a free print (up to 12x18) to the person who diagrams most accurately the setup from the photograph above. It is the most intricate lighting setup of all the portraits featured in this layout, and I wanna see who guesses it... and it ain't all that hard. Please include, if you've got the voodoo, the under/over readings for each light as well!

Please submit your conjectures in the comments field... email an actual diagram if you so dare! I'll send a 100% coupon to whomever is closest... you can choose any picture you want off my site.

And since I've been neglecting this blog for so damn long now, I bet that I get very few responses, so your odds are quite good!

You've got all this week... pass it around.

BTW, that photograph is of stage producer, new cafe/bar/performance-house owner, and all-around neat fellow Chall Gray. Go and see him, have a beer or coffee, and enjoy show at The Magnetic Field in the River Arts District of Asheville, NC.

producer diagram

Thank you all for playing!

Hmmmmm.... who is closest...???

Camera setting: ISO 400 1/60 @ f4.

Lamp is ambient as-is (but it is not lighting the room.) What everyone missed is a speedlight @ -2 popped into the ceiling to light the room. If I had used the lamp to light the room it would have blown out and created a very warm-tomed room.

Key is a squished up silver umbrella to direct the light at subjects upper body / to keep it from spilling into the whole scene.

Subject fill is a RING LIGHT @ -2

Outside light is an Alien Bee with reflector and lots of blue gel. @ +-0

And so, EVERYONE WINS! Email me with your image choice (anything from my website) and I will send you a 100% coupon with a link. Sorry, but you will still have to pay shipping... there is no way around that.

We will do this again someday soon... I'll try and find a harder one.

8 comments:

Ed Ip said...

No time for a diagram but will throw in my guess anyway :)

- Key is camera-left slightly higher than the subject in a smallish softbox like a 24x24 Lastolite EzyBox

- A flash in the lamp with 1 may be 2 full CTOs 1 stop down to cut through the lamp shade

- A bare flash outside the window 1/2 CTB, again 1 stop down

- A flash slight camera right 2 stops down about the same height as the key. Tempted to say it's a ring flash.

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

Thanks Ed for the first guess!

Kenny Theysen said...

Well here is mine!

Lamp is @ ambient

Key light camera left up high umbrella reflective.

Light outside is bare with blue gel.

Reflector camera right.

There you go!

Cheers

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

Thanks, Kenny.... the odds are still great for both of you!

Unknown said...

Here is my guess.

Lamp is at ambient.

Outdoor Light (ie sun) is being used as a hair/separation light.

Key light: camera left up slightly higher diffused in a small soft-box or a thin strip soft-box.

Fill is a ring flash near camera or maybe slightly right of camera and is about 2 stops under Key light.

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

Thank you all for playing!

Hmmmmm.... who is closest...???

Camera setting: ISO 400 1/60 @ f4.

Lamp is ambient as-is (but it is not lighting the room.) What everyone missed is a speedlight @ -2 popped into the ceiling to light the room. If I had used the lamp to light the room it would have blown out and created a very warm-tomed room.

Key is a squished up silver umbrella to direct the light at subjects upper body / to keep it from spilling into the whole scene.

Subject fill is a RING LIGHT @ -2

Outside light is an Alien Bee with reflector and lots of blue gel. @ +-0

And so, EVERYONE WINS! Email me with your image choice and I will send you a 100% coupon with a link.

Brian Scannell said...

I'm glad I didn't embarrass myself...I could have sworn it was an on-camera flash. Nice work!

Patrick Cavan Brown said...

Funny man... :)