Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Meet Severn Eaton...


Meet Severn Eaton.... He's a cool cat: a father, a husband, a ginger-ale brewmaster, and an artist. Severn's paintings are right up my alley: they have meaning. In one of my favorites black helicopters emerge from a wasps nest... and in another a soldier walks among a field of poppies.

I shot Severn as the first in a series of western North Carolina's top emerging artists for WNC Magazine. I gave myself a challenge: all images were to be taken in the studio of the artist, wether that be a basement, a bedroom, or a warehouse... nowhere else... no scouting, no building sets, no assistants... just show up alone and keep it real. The plan was to spend about an afternoon with each artist shooting a lit portrait and a bonus: SLR video footage that I'd edit down into a 2 minute mini-documentary.

I've attached the behind-the-camera-timelapse of the lit-portait, but this one is a bit vague... see if you can figure it all out... feel free to comment.


And here is the 2 minute doc... It's been years and years since I've shot any video... as I post these in the coming days and weeks you may notice that the videos get better as time and practice assert their valuable toll.


PS... didn't mean to be absent from the blog for so long... this was a big project and a lot of things fell by the wayside... on that note, I'm sorry, Katie, mi amor.

OnTheVergeSevernEatonSpread

3 comments:

Kenny Theysen said...

Nice one!! You did make us wait a bit!!

Btw when are going to have your build demo on your Speedstrips?

Thanks for your great work!

Cheers

Anonymous said...

Nice to see that... Welcome back Patrick!
Dave Solo

William said...

Great photo and the video was really well done. I liked the way it was shot and I felt like the black and white added to the story. Keep it up!