Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Canoe & Kayak Magazine...


I must thank Jeff Moag, Editor Extraordinaire, and rest of the good folks over at Canoe & Kayak Magazine for giving me the honors of my first assignment with their world class publication. I've always wanted to shoot for C&K, as they are tops in their field. They dug the shots (flying commercial with your kayak), and thankfully dropped another shoot in my lap: a portrait of a long-time paddler and holder of some local first descents, including Tallulah Gorge)... those pics are coming soon... just waiting on the June issue)

I snagged a friend (fellow photographer and soon to be fellow paddler) Paul Mehaffey, and we raided the Greenville, SC airport one sunday afternoon. We went gorilla, no permits or permission, and stayed as low-key as we could. After half an hour or so I had to pay a quick visit to the Airport Chief of Police, but he was kind enough to let us continue. I used no strobes, just available light and a tripod. The Greenville-Spartanburg Airport is anything but bustling, so I took multiple exposures of blurry people and layered them up in photoshop... an old-school technique.

Sorry, no time-lapse.

Read the article below...

4 comments:

circle me confused said...

moving on up. that's exciting, congratulations.

VirginiaWestfield said...

diggit.

Brian Scannell said...

I've put in a call to Homeland Security. They are investigating the security situation at Greenville airport.

Mr Furious said...

I'd've had a hard time choosing between those two shots...awesome stuff, Patrick.

Matt